From discussions with our current students, I'm very much aware that several people every year are asked by other candidates with interviews later in the day than them to divulge what questions they were asked. Questions are also sometimes shared on chat room sites, many of which we monitor.
I can quite understand why this happens and would probably be tempted myself but let me explain why it's not a good idea at all.
In terms of being asked what the questions were, you will make it easier for another candidate to compete for a place. Not smart! You may think your interview just went terribly and there isn't a chance we'd take you. So did most of the students currently here at Peterhouse!!! So just reply with something vague like "You know, it's all a bit of a blur - I can't really remember" or simply say you'd rather not comment.
In terms of asking, apart from rudely outting another candidate in an awkward position, there are other reasons why it's really not a smart thing to do. Firstly, we can usually spot in interview when someone has got wind of the questions in advance and will swiftly change tack onto different, and probably tougher material. Secondly, I know for a fact that some applciatns when put in that position will be aware that it puts them at a disadvantage to tell you so will simply lie. You then march into your interview with a false sense of security and are blindsided by completely diffeent questions.
So, basically, don't go there and don't put each other in that position. It doesn't work for anyone!
A word on sharing information on chat rooms, BTW. Firstly, we (that's interviewers, admissions tutors and me) monitor many of them regularly during interviews to see if questions are getting out. As above, it's actually really easy to spot if someone has prepared a "secret" question. Secondly, even with a clever alias, it's really easy to work out who each applicant is from details they give away. Also, it's worth being restrained in how you describe interviewers. I've known successful candidates be taught by a Fellow who they'd been really excessively rude about on a chat room and the Fellow was aware of the exact comments their new student had made about them. Ouch!
You get the picture!
Monday, December 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Hello Jennie!
Do tutors look on chat room to research applicants when making decisions on offers etc...cos I am currently on a chat room using my real name and have applied to Cambridge, and although I haven't said anything rude about the process, I would feel uncomfortable with a fellow looking up what I say on the chat room!
Thank you
Is it true that sections 1 and 2 are graded A, B, C in the BMAT? If so are you allowed to tell us the grade boundaries, what grades are acceptable for pooling and how much importance BMAT has in the selection process.
thank you so much for all of your posts! they are extremely useful and much appreciated!
OK, good question.
No, we don't go looking for dirt on you and would ignore anything innocuous so please don't worry. We don't think chat rooms are a bad thing per se and don't sneak around looking for things! It's mainly just to check on questions being shared and we then occasionally see other negative things being said but we're not the secret police!
BMATs - I'll have to do this tomorrow - too tired - sorry! (it's 7 pm!)
Thank you for all these updates wow!!!
Reading the Cambridge law web site it says the LNAT will not be used next year, and although it does say it will remain significant this year, surely the same emphasis cannot be placed on it with the knowledge next year will not need to take it?
I only ask as i fel perhaps my LNAT wasnt as good as possible, so it would be a welcome move ;)
many thanks on the clarification
Agreed, I'm also eager to know more about the BMATs.
To the anonymous poster of "December 1, 2008 12:29 PM",
Well, I'm a fellow of Peterhouse, and I'm looking at all the chat room postings right now!
If you feel uncomfortable with my seeing what you say in the chat rooms, then the simple solution is not to use them. They are public, after all.
But, as Jennie says, we are not opposed to their use. They can be very useful (particularly for dispelling myths about interviews).
Nonetheless, just as you might use them to learn about the interview process, it is our duty to use them to learn what is being said about the interview process, and about the types of questions we use, etc.
Well, shocked as I am to have Fellows on the blog (I don't yet know which Fellow it is!), I think it's pretty reassuring to have a Fellow's perspective on the process.
I'm off to do some detective work!
Hello - original anonymous poster here.
Hello Peterhouse fellow (feels very odd saying that!).
To help with admissions, would you search names on a chatroom to help you find out more about the aplicants, and their background and what they say about courses and Cambridge etc..., or is that pretty irrelevant?
Thank you very much
Hi Anon,
I tracked down the Fellow (my middle name being Miss Marple!) and I can reassure you straight away, we don't search on names. We might try and figure out who it was if someone shared questiosn but that really is the only thing we're looking for!
Breathe easy, guys. Liek I say, we're not the secret police. It is worth remembering though (as I frogto last week when I assumed Fellows wouldn't check on the blog), that anything you do on the internet is public unless you restrict access to it yourself.
Post a Comment