Friday, November 25, 2011

Interviews - what to bring and what to expect

Now that all the interview invitations have been sent I just thought I'd clear up a few things.

Please let me know whether or not you are accepting the meals/accommodation (if offered) by email and return the interview confirmation sheet as soon as possible. We are receiving a lot of emails asking for confirmation of receipt but I'm afraid it is impossible to reply to them all so please assume everything is in place unless you hear otherwise.

What to expect at interview

Below are the details of what to expect for each subject.

ASNC: one general interview, one subject interview at the ASNC Faculty (5 mins prep)

Arch and Anth: one subject interview

Architecture: one subject interview (discussion of portfolio)

AMES: generally, one general interview and one subject interview but depends on language choices

Chemical Engineering: same as NatSci/Engi (depending on route) plus one chem eng interview

Classics: one subject interview (30 mins prep), interview by another College

Comp Sci: one subject interview (60 mins prep)

Economics: one subject interview

Engineering: two subject interviews (one with 45 mins prep), a maths test

English: two subject interviews (one with 15 mins prep), test

History: two subject interviews (one with 30 mins prep), test

History of Art: one subject interview

Law: two subject interviews (one with 15 mins prep), Cambridge Law Test (likely to be essay based question)

Linguistics: one subject interview

Maths: two subject interviews


Maths with Physics: two Maths interviews, one Physics interview

MML: generally, one interview per language (each with 15 mins prep) and a test but can vary

Medicine: two subject interviews

Music: one general interview, one subject interview (30 mins prep) and test at Robinson College

Nat Sci (Bio): two subject interviews

Nat Sci (Phys): two subject interviews (one with 30 mins prep)

Philosophy: one general interview, one subject interview, test

Theology: one general interview, one subject interview, interview by another college

The general interview is a shorter interview with one of the Admissions Tutors to discuss why you are applying for your subject. He may also discuss things you've mentioned in your personal statement. Subject interviews will be (as the name suggests!) more subject focussed, perhaps discussing written work you've submitted.

'Interview preparation' normally means that you will be given a passage to read or problem sheet to look at prior to interview so that it can be discussed during the interview. This is supposed to be something you have not come across before so no preparation is necessary. This is to help guide the interview so that it is more like an actual Cambridge supervision. You can find out more here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/interviews/.

You will not receive any more information than that I'm afraid but I hope that is useful!

What to bring to interview

- Warm clothes: Cambridge is cold (and often wet!) in December. There is no specific dress code so it is important you wear whatever you feel comfortable (and clever!) in.

- Sensible shoes: you may need to walk around a lot so make sure you are comfortable.

- A magazine/book/school work: you may spend some time sitting around waiting so make sure you bring something to keep you entertained. You can also work in Peterhouse library or relax in the common room if you have a lot of time between appointments.

- A mobile phone (where possible): if you have provided us with your mobile phone number then please bring it with you as we do sometimes need to make last minute changes to interview times if people are held up in traffic etc. But remember you cannot take it into any interviews or test rooms.

- Your interview invitation: you will need this so that you know where you are going and when. Remember to go to the Porters Lodge at least 10 minutes before each appointment for all Peterhouse interviews. If you are being interviewed at another College or at a faculty then please make sure you know how to get there.

- A pen: the Porter's will have some spare for those sitting tests but bring your own if you're worried about them running out.


- Photo ID (passport or driving license ideally): we may need to confirm your identity at the interview.


- Evidence of UMS marks: interviewers will be doing spot checks so make sure you bring them with you if you have declared UMS marks on your application.

- An alarm clock (if you are staying over): you do not want to miss your interview!

How to get to Peterhouse

I thought it'd be useful to show you some maps.

Here is a map of the city centre including Peterhouse:



Here is how to get from Drummer Street bus station to Peterhouse:


View Larger Map

Here is how to get from the railway station to Peterhouse:


View Larger Map

Here is a link for a map of Peterhouse:

http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/welcome-peterhouse/map-college

I am afraid that things will be too hectic for us to arrange tours during interviews - feel free to wander around by yourselves but please don't wander off to your interviews by yourselves. It is important that the Porters can tick you off before EACH interview and show you to the right interview room and explain what you need to do.

Please post any questions by commenting here. It saves me replying to hundreds of the same question by email. I will not post every comment (especially if I receive the same comment more than once or if I think it is only relevant to an individual) but I will try to answer all questions.

Thanks.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

On the email that was sent to me inviting me to interview for natural science (phys) it said I had one admissions tutor interview and one subject interview. Is this correct or do I have two subject interviews?

Thanks and I look forward to meeting you

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm an international student and am not doing any A levels. I have SAT grades and was wondering if I should take those to the interview as "UMS scores".

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

Everyone will have at least one interview with an Admissions Tutor (except possibly for Medicine applicants). More often than not, these interviews are also subject interviews. The information given above is accurate, so if it says that you'll have two subject interviews then that's what you'll have.

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

If you haven't sat AS levels then you don't need to bring UMS marks certificates - we'll only be running spot checks for UMS.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Kathy,
Do international students need to bring their GCSE and AS-level certificates?
And UMS scores only applies for those who take sciences.Am I right?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

If you have sat AS levels then you must bring these certificates with you, regardless of which subject you are applying for. The only exception to this is if your school cannot provide them for some reason.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have replied to Cambridge more than a week ago, hoping to sign up for the accomodation at Peterhouse for the interview. However, I have yet to receive any e-mail regarding that. How can I find out if there would be accomadation for me?

Thank You!

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

If we offered you accommodation in our original invitation to you then you can assume that we haven't cancelled it. If you are requesting more accommodation then please send us an email stating which night you are requesting and we will get back to you with availability.

Thanks,

Kathy

yellow tofu~ said...

Hi,
Regarding the question on accomadation, the original e-mail stated that it would only be offered to those who replied to Cambridge. I have replied but have yet to receive any confirmation. How can I get the details (such as where and what time to report) for the accomodation the night before?

Thank you very much

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

We aren't confirming receipt of your acceptance of your accommodation, so if you don't hear from us then please assume that it is still booked. You can collect your keys from the Porters' Lodge any time before midnight (and after 2pm) and the evening meal in the Hall is usually at 6pm. Lunch is at 12:30-1:00 and there will be a sign advertising this (and breakfast times) at the Porters' Lodge when you sign in.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi,

How long are subject interviews usually?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Subject interviews usually last 30 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have quite a lot of time between two of my appointments. Can I go into Cambridge inbetween, as long as I am back in plenty of time for the second appointment?

Thank you and I look forward to meeting you

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hello,

Yes, that's fine, Peterhouse is very close to Cambridge City Centre - just make sure you're back at the Porters' Lodge in plenty of time for your next interview, and keep your phone on!

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Some of my friends have applied for different colleges and received interviews there. They have been told exactly who is interviewing them, but i have no information on this.. Is that normal for Peterhouse or should i have some idea?

Thank you :)

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

If you'd like to know who's interviewing you then please contact the Admissions Office stating what subject you're applying for - we haven't publicised the information this year but that's not because it's a secret!

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was wondering what form the test for History takes? I assume it will be a written/essay type? Thank you!

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

The History Test lasts an hour and is a written test - you will be given a text to read and then asked to write about it.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I was wondering how will the mathematics interview be? Does it differ if one is applying for mathematics with physics?

Also, the physics interview for those applying for mathematics with physics will be a subject or a general interview?

Thank you.

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

Maths with Physics applicants will have 3 interviews - two for Maths and one for Physics - and they will all be subject based interviews.

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Will we ever find out how many people applied to Peterhouse for our subject?
Just would be interested to know!
Thanks.

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi,

You can ask us about that if you're interested, but we are currently very busy making sure the interviews run as smoothly as possible so it would be great if you could save those queries up until mid-January, when things have slowed down a bit! If you're interested in previous trends, you can find all that information here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/. Do take this with a pinch of salt though - applying to Cambridge isn't a numbers game!

Thanks,

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hi,
If we are invited to come for dinner, what time should we be at Peterhouse?
Thanks

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

From next week, dinner will be served at 6:00.