Thursday, November 20, 2008

20th November letters and deselection

Right, quick post.

Maths is out the door. Hooray!
Law is out the door. Hooray!
I've scheduled History so it will be the first tomorrow and quite quick to do and I've finally heard from Classics so I think I can probably get the rest of the letters out before the weekend.

Sadly though, I also decided to send an e-mail to all those who had been deselected early this afternoon. It's one of the worst jobs of the year but I hadn't had time to do the letters and I know you get anxious about it so I hope that was the right thing to do. You can post general comments or questions about deselection here (anonymously if you like). It does mean though that if you didn't get that e-mail, you WILL get an interview letter over the next few days.

If I don't post again before the weekend then apologies...it's a bit mad here! However, most of your e-mails are so friendly and polite, it makes it worth doing. Look forward to meeting some of you in December. I'll be the blur of activity running between the Porters' Lodge and the Admissions Office.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for providing us with up-to-date information. So I don't need to be anxious waiting for a letter like many of my friends at school. Peterhouse does seem to be the right choice so far!!

Anonymous said...

Too right!!!

Thank you so much Jennie!

Anonymous said...

thank you Jennie!!!

thats really good to be up to dated with the college information. I totally agree with qian

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this blog was a great idea! Keeping up to date with whats happening is pretty reassuring and also makes the wait for letters less daunting! Thanks loads :) Just waiting for an interview letter now!

Anonymous said...

Hello there Jennie!

In terms of deselections...if an applicant has 3A's at A-level, or is predicted to achieve this, and has strong AS levels and GCSES, will the applicant most likely be invited to interview?

Thank you

Anonymous said...

Hello Jennie!

In terms of deselection, are candidates only deselcted if they have not got AAA predicitions or weak GCSES and AS levels...or is it more based on the quality of the written work sent into the college. If a candidate (apart from Medicine, Law etc...) has got 3A's, and is predicted 3 A's, will he or she tend to be invited for interview?

Thanks very much,

Amrou

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

On deselection, it would be unusual to be deselected if you had at least 3 A*s at GCSE AND were predicted 3 As at A2 (and had AS grades to make this seem likely).

It does happen in Medicine and Economics. In Medicine, the ratio of applicatns to places is so high that we're a bit more stringent and in Economics we have the essay task.

On other submitted written work, the quality fo their written work would probably not be taken into account (in a negative way) at deselection stage but in Economics, the essay has to be good in order to get an interview.