Monday, November 24, 2008

What to wear/bring to interview

A question I get asked a lot at this time of year is what people should bring or wear to interview.

Hopefully using the Blog means I can answer this question just once :>)

So, what to bring:

Your interview letter as it contains your timings for the day. They'll have your times at the Porters' Lodge but it's handy to have on your person if you have more than one appointment.

It also has my telephone number on it should you be running late. It happens to a few people each year and we work around it so let us know asap if your train is delayed or your car stuck on the M25. We won't be cross - just glad to know where you are and we'll madly try and adapt the schedule or to at least let the interviewers know.

A map of Cambridge (try the web-site or the back of the University Prospetus) so you can find the College when you get here.

If you are staying over night, BRING AN ALARM CLOCK! This is one day you don't want to oversleep (and we do a fine cooked breakfast - or cereal and toast if you prefer!). Your phone may also do the trick but make sure it will wake you up. I have had to knock on a couple of candidates' doors and they didn't get so much as a shower before going straight into interview!

Architects, bring your portfolios.

WHAT TO WEAR

Here's the "print-out-and-give-to-your-Mum" guide!

There are loads of myths surrounding what to wear to interview but here is the truth - we don't care. Candidates wear everything from suits to shorts (yes, really!) and it makes no difference to our opinion of them. Your interviewers are very unlikely to be wearing suits and may well be in jeans so why shouldn't you be comfortable too?

However, here is how to decide what to wear - wear what makes you confident and what will make you comfortable.

If a suit makes you feel great and you are comfortable wearing a collar and tie, then go ahead. If you'll just fidget and fuss in your smart outfit, dress down.

For both guys and girls - remember that it will be freezing otuside and potentially boiling in your interview room so layers are really important. Some interview rooms even have open fires (so Cambridge!) and you don't want to be a sweaty mess on top of the nerves so do make sure you can drop a few layers. It's fine to take off your outside coat in the interview room so don't wait to be asked.

Guys - most people end up wearing non-jeans trousers, a collared shirt but no tie and a jumper/sweatshirt of some desription. Jeans however are fine and a smarter look is also OK. You can definitely wear trainers if you've decided not to wear a suit.

Girls - I'm into my 30s and even listen to Radio 2 so I wouldn't dare to presume to advise you (!) but anything from skirt-suit to jeans is fine. Do make sure you will be warm enough going between buildings and while waiting in the Porters' Lodge (a decent thick coat and opaque tights at least!) and that, if you have to wear killer heels to give your best, you at least bring them in your bag and wear something more comfy to get here, especially if you're walking from the station. I know one current student who said her main memory of her interview was of a blister bursting in her too-tight shoes - gross and totally distracting! If you have the TSA, it's a good 5 minutes walk away and we usually take it quite fast as someone is always late. You get the idea...

Hope that helps. Any questions? Put them in comments.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennie,

On the back of the blue form you gave us,in the section about Pooling, it says -

I will be at this address from .......to........

I'm a little confused as to what we put here, dates or times?

Thank you!

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Good question.

It means which dates. So, for instance, you might be staying at your Granny's from 3rd - 6th January before returning home to go back to school. It's also useful for the odd person who might be returning to boarding school after the holidays so we know where to reach you.

Anonymous said...

For any History of Art applicant, is there anything that may be advisable to bring to interview?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

History of Art - no, there's nothing you need to bring except yourself.

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennie

Other Universities have told me to bring exam certificates and proof of ID and address. Should I bring this to the Peterhouse interview?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Good question. No, we chase this up later if we give you a place and check all your credentials then. There's less time at interview.

Anonymous said...

I tried to leave a comment here on Friday but it does not seem to have worked but if it did then I am sorry for repeating.

I need to stay over the night before my interview (and have put that in the reutrn slip) but could you tell me the latest that I can be at Peterhouse please?

Thanks

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Hi Anon,

If you're staying over you should best arrive between 7-10 pm but the prters are up till midnight adn on duty all night so you can decide. I;d already put this in a post which is why I didn't publish your post but not to worry!