A lot of you will have the mention of a "Written Test" on your interview letter.
It depends on your subject what the test might be so I'll go through them one by one. I can say however that we never give out past papers for College-based tests as we want everyone to take them with a as little preparation as possible in order to see how you apply your current knowledge and intelligence to potentially new topic areas.
Comsci: we have an in-house written test before the interview which is largely mathematical and the TSA later in the day.
Engineering - it's a half-hour maths test with about 15 questions. You do as many as you can (no calculators!). It's all engineering-related maths so think about that when you're learning equations.
English - two unseen pieces of prose or poetry to comment on. If you've mentioned a work or author anywhere in your application, it won't come up - they check!
History - similar to English with at least two historical sources.
MML - a test which you can take in your strongest language - think about revising grammar (adjectival endings etc.) and spellings.
Music - General musical theory which includes a harmony exercise.
Natsci - it's the TSA for all Nastscis. The new software wouldn't let me specify that easily (although I figured it out later). PLEASE be on time for these as they take place off campus. Be at LEAST 10 minutes early arriving at the Plodge so we don't have to run you down the street!
Philosophy - mostly a logic multiple choice with an essay at the end.
Theology - an essay question which usually involves some general aspect of Theolgy rather than any particular aspect of subject knowledge.
Hope that helps!
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Am I right in assuming that economists also do the TSA, so the so the same advice as Natsci applies?
Yes, sorry, Economists do the TSA but it is called "written test" in your letters.
Will the comments on the unseen historical sources be written comments such as commentaries and critical essays or will they be assessed in the form of oral discussions?
Dear Jennie,
This blog is useful and soothing.
Thank-you.
Soothing is good. We aim to soothe :>)
History - you'll be giving written responses to those sources in the test but may be asked about them further in interview. Double-whammy!
With my A-Level Mathematics exams (AQA), we had formulae books in the exam hall - will there be such a thing in the engineering maths paper? If we are used to using the AQA formula book, could we bring in it or will we have to memorise the whole book?
When will I have the test in Classics (during the interview or beforehand) and will I have a dictionary?
Hi guys,
Engineers are not allowed formuale books. Sorry! You only need to memorise those relevant to physics/mechanical problems, I suspect (it's not my field but that's what I'd think from having seen the papers).
There is no written classics test unless you are a 4-year candidate, in which case it's on Day 2 at the Faculty. No, you can't bring a dictionary. Sorry!
Hi Jennie
For the Engineering test, will there be a lot of pure/core maths as well as mechanics things?
Thanks very much for all the information - you've probably heard it a lot, but it's very helpful!
I was just wondering about the english written exam. On my letter, it says that my exam is first, so I'm guessing that means there's no preparation beforehand for me?
And would my english interview preparation be studying a text to talk about in the actual interview?
Engineers - they usually focus less on non-applicable maths.
Pre-interview tests - I've posted about this elsewhere and I'm about to post on interview preparation!
Post a Comment