Thursday, January 15, 2009

The eternal question

This post is just for people who've got offers but I've realised it's important.

From this point until August, I usally get lots of worried e-mails saying "Help! I didn't realise I had to send in this form/I made a spelling mistake in my reply to the Admissions Tutor/I didn't know there was a deadline for XYZ. Do I still have a place?"

Firstly, to reassure you, we do want you to come to the College! We spent a lot of time choosing you. We're not going to base whether or not we take you in October on whether or not you jump through a number of administrative hoops correctly or not. Make your offer (and your financial conditons if you're from overseas and were given them), and you're in! Your place is not at risk just because you don't send us a bit of paper. The one exception to this is probably overseas scholarship applications and the evidence we need from you of financial backing if this was part of your offer. This is the one area where you can really miss the boat and we can't do much about it. Get those things sorted in good time.

On the other hand, you are about to enter an adult institution. We expect you (not your parents!) to read anything we send you, make sure you've understood it (questions for clarification are fine) and act on it. You will probably sometimes need to work together with your parents, for instance when it comes to funding/grant/loan issues. We will usually chase you up if you miss a deadline but you might have missed out on something by then, like particular types of funding, or you might get information you need for your particular circumstances too late. You need to do your bit.

I guess, to summarise, your place is safe if you meet your conditions but you do need to plan to stay on top of the paperwork from here on in. Have a dedicated pile on your desk or a drawer. Put deadlines on a calender or in a diary. Keep your eye on the ball. You'll be doign yourself a favour and won't need to stress then.

Have a good two weeks, guys!

No comments: