Thursday, November 18, 2010

Getting ready for interviews

Now we have done the majority of interview invitations (today we finalised Classics and Theology), I just thougt I'd clear up a few things.

Please let me know whether or not you are accepting the meals/accommodation (if offered) by email and return the interview confirmation sheet as soon as possible. I will start chasing those we haven't received soon. We are receiving a lot of emails asking for confirmation of receipt but I'm afraid it is impossible to reply to them all so please assume everything is in place unless you hear otherwise.

What to expect at interview

Below are the details of what to expect for each subject.

ASNC: one general interview, one subject interview

Arch and Anth: one subject interview

Architecture: one subject interview (discussion of portfolio)

AMES: generally, one general interview and one subject interview but depends on language choices

Chemical Engineering: same as NatSci/Engi (depending on route) plus one chem eng interview

Classics: one subject interview, interview by another College

Comp Sci: one subject interview, a maths test, TSA

Economics: one subject interview, TSA

Engineering: two subject interviews, a maths test

English: two subject interviews, test

History: two subject interviews, test

History of Art: one subject interview

Law: two subject interviews, Cambridge Law Test (likely to be essay based question)

Linguistics: one subject interview

Maths: two subject interviews

MML: generally, one interview per language and a test but can vary depending on whether applying ab initio

Medicine: two subject interviews

Music: one general interview, one subject interview, test

Nat Sci (Bio): two subject interviews, TSA

Nat Sci (Phys): two subject interviews, TSA

Philosophy: one general interview, one subject interview, test

Theology: one general interview, one subject interview, interviews by another college

The general interview is a shorter interview with one of the Admissions Tutors to discuss why you are applying for your subject. He may also discuss things you've mentioned in your personal statement. Subject interviews will be (as the name suggests!) more subject focussed, perhaps discussing written work you've submitted.

'Interview preparation' normally means that you will be given a passage to read or problem sheet to look at prior to interview so that it can be discussed during the interview. This is supposed to be something you have not come across before so no preparation is necessary. This is to help guide the interview so that it is more like an actual Cambridge supervision. You can find out more here: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/interviews/.

You will not receive any more information than that I'm afraid but I hope that is useful!

What to bring to interview

- Warm clothes: Cambridge is cold (and often wet!) in December. There is no specific dress code so it is important you wear whatever you feel comfortable (and clever!) in.

- Sensible shoes: you may need to walk around a lot so make sure you are comfortable.

- A magazine/book/school work: you may spend some time sitting around waiting so make sure you bring something to keep you entertained. You can also work in Peterhouse library or relax in the common room if you have a lot of time between appointments.

- A mobile phone (where possible): if you have provided us with your mobile phone number then please bring it with you as we do sometimes need to make last minute changes to interview times if people are held up in traffic etc. But remember you cannot take it into any interviews or test rooms.

- Your interview invitation: you will need this so that you know where you are going and when. Remember to go to the Porters Lodge at least 10 minutes before each appointment for all Peterhouse interviews. If you are being interviewed at another College or at a faculty then please make sure you know how to get there.

- A pen: the Porter's will have some spare for those sitting tests but bring your own if you're worried about them running out.

- An alarm clock (if you are staying over): you do not want to miss your interview!

How to get to Peterhouse

I thought it'd be useful to show you some maps.

Here is a map of the city centre including Peterhouse:



Here is how to get from Drummer Street bus station to Peterhouse:


View Larger Map

Here is how to get from the railway station to Peterhouse:


View Larger Map

Here is a link for a map of Peterhouse:

http://www.pet.cam.ac.uk/welcome-peterhouse/map-college

I am afraid that things will be too hectic for us to arrange tours during interviews but feel free to wander around by yourselves but please don't wander off to your interviews by yourselves. It is important that the Porters can tick you off before EACH interview and show you to the right interview room and explain what you need to do.

Please post any questions by commenting here. It saves me replying to hundreds of the same question by email. I will not post every comment (especially if I receive the same comment more than once or if I think it is only relevant to an individual) but I will try to answer all questions.

Thanks.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there parking at the college if we are driving?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

I am afraid that there is no parking on site for students except in exceptional circumstances. It is not recommended to bring a car into the centre of Cambridge but details of public car parks can be found here: http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/transport-and-streets/car-parks/. You may otherwise wish to make use of the Park and Ride system (http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/around/parkandride/).

Anonymous said...

For engineering the maths test will it include A level FURTHER maths question because I have not taken it as it is not offered. Also would it be possible to have any specimen papers ??

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

The maths test for Engineering applicants consists of muliple choice questions from a range of topics. You are not expected to be able to answer all the questions and most will be assessing your ability to use prior knowledge tackling questions you may not have done before. I am afraid that we are not able to provide specimen papers for any of the tests.

Anonymous said...

As for engineering, will the calculator (graphical calculator like TI-84) be allowed in the math written test?

Thank you in advanced

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

I am afraid that calculators are not permitted for the maths test for Engineering applicants.

Pro said...

Just to make sure, are all the questions multiple choice?

If I show the step of my calculation, will I be awarded any mark even if my final answer is wrong?

Thank you in advanced!

Anonymous said...

is the library open for the applicants?

Kathy Purdy and Martin Thompson said...

Yes, all the questions are multiple choice. You should always show your working as they are often more interested in how you think rather than your calculation skills but I'm not sure how the paper is marked. Please let me reassure everyone that there is no pass or fail mark on any admissions tests - they are simply an extra assessment method that is considered alongside every other aspect of your application.

Yes, applicants will be allowed to use the library during interviews between normal opening hours which is likely to be 9am-5pm because it is out of term time.